Sunday, July 31

A hero

I was speaking with Lars' uncle. He knows and was speaking to one of the young men who was in the car with Lars. After the accident, he rushed to the aid of another young man who had some serious and, as it turns out, lethal injuries. His sister and another young lady (both passengers) informed him that Lars was not responding, not breathing. He rushed over and noticed that Lars had no breath sounds. He turned him up on his side and firmly hit him in the middle of the back. Lars immediately coughed and vomited. He then sat up and vomited some more. Lars was acting a little funny. The young man asked him to tell him his name, his address and to identify him. He didn't. Lars would not calm down, despite this young man's urging. About this time the EMT showed up. He was able to alert the EMT that Lars was 'not right' (some of us have known that for years... but this time it was actually true.) He was then life-flighted out.
Thank you for saving my son's life. You are a hero.

Update: I just met the young man mentioned above. He corrected me a little on the story. Instead of slapping Lars on the back, he said he slapped him on the face (I can personally relate to wanting to do this on many occasions). I just wanted to make the story a little more accurate. I'm sure that someday, we may know exactly what happened. For now, I'm letting you know what we know.

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness this young man was able to do what was necessary to save Lars! We are praying for Lars and all those affected by the accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its maxie... Little brother I love you so much. I am looking forward to you tormenting me in the neer future, in the mean time I will pray for your quick recovery. Do what the doctors say. I miss you so much. Ill blog you every day just to annoy you. High five and a thumbs up for being an awesome kid. Your amazing little brother. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Lars his HOBY family is thinking about him and praying for him, sending good vibes his way! You are one incredible person, Lars, and you WILL get through this. We are here for you to lean on if you need any one of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying and fasted for Lars today and know that all will be well. Our Bailey swims with Lars so we know that if ANYONE can recovery wholly from a lung injury it is in fact a SWIMMER! Go Lars! And we are also sending up prayers to your family and ALL the families involved in this tragic accident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of heroes...Lars, you are one of my son's heroes. My son is Ryan Olson, the little 11-year-old that swam the 400 IM at Last Chance. It brought tears to my eyes when you went back and swam part of it with him, even as you were being yelled at by the coaches! :) It brought tears to our eyes again to hear about the accident (we also know Gabe's family), and again last night as I listened to Ryan's heartfelt prayer for your recovery. We think you're awesome, and will continue to pray for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lars,
    You came to Utah to swim with the Tsunami team and made a quick and lasting impression on the team, both in the water and in our hearts, you are part of the Tsunami family! You are an amazing person and we know you can fight through this just like you fight through a tough workout! You are in our prayers. It touched me too as a parent when I watched you go back to swim the last part of the 400 IM with Ryan Olson.
    Thanks! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete